Thursday 8 July 2010

Viva España!

Ello again!

Man, already nearly a week since I last updated?! And so much has happened..! I really hope I can remember most of it to tell you...

On Sunday: We went to the beach, the nearest place being Matalascañas, an hour away by coach. What a scorcher it was; definitely a good plan to get some coastal breeze and have the sea on hand for dipping in! Despite lying in the baking 40-something degree sun for most of the day, I still have comparatively little tan and was often asked by my Italian housemate why I'm so 'blanquita' (affectionate term for pasty!) Though I'm trying to remind myself that I still have another 6 weeks to brown some more, and that my housemates have been here a lot longer and have thus seen a lot more sun than I have! Plenty of time to catch up :p

This week has gone SO fast in hindsight; can't believe it's the end of the second week already! Has largely been spent much in the same vein of the first week: classes in the morning, feeling rather tired from late nights/little sleep due to the heat, which is soon and pretty invariably rectified by a café manchado (milky coffee - still pretty strong for me!) and a tostada con tomate y aceite (toasted bread with tomato pulp and olive oil - a traditional Catalan dish they call pa amb tomàquet in Barcelona, but which has a pretty identical counterpart here, which I was overjoyed to find!!) and a chat in our half an hour break. Then home to some lunch and monging about sunning myself on the roof terrace/having a siesta and reading/doing my homework (10 mins tops - the best kind of work! Grammar as well - I'm actually in heaven lol!), before catching up with whichever housemates I may bump into, going for wanders around the city and then dining later in the evening before a World Cup game at the Irish pub/local bar. Perfecto :D Went to see the Holland/Uruguay game on Tuesday with all my Dutch housemates (they were over the moon, naturally!), followed by the Spain/Germany game last night for Happy Miércoles with my coursemates and housemates at a bar down the road - went for a wander and some drinks afterwards to lap up the elation in the air, and managed to get some pretty extensive Spanish conversation practice into the bargain! So I'm pretty tired today, and have given myself a day off and time to get an early night by having a Skype chat with Quinny :)

Today was the day of my coursemates' graduation (the ones on the BA, who thus finish a year before me) and I found a link online to a live webcam feed of the ceremony, which was brilliant :) so proud of them all, emotional times! Going to miss them all so much; thankfully several are still hanging around up North looking for jobs and the like, so there should still be plenty of drinks/coffees/lunches lined up next year. Speaking of line-up - Quinny emailed me a gig listing the other day of a host of potential bands/comedians we might be interested in, so we've now got quite a hectic entertainment calendar lined up for my return right up until January! :D It's gonna be fantastic, a welcome break from the workload I'm beginning to dread next year! Oh well, thankfully I get a real summer (and how!!) :D

While waiting for the next graduates to come on screen, I went for a wander around the city with my 2 new housemates who haven't seen much of Seville yet. We got an Italian ice cream from my favourite sweet shop and wandered down to the river - Seville is so beautiful :) Made it home in time to see my fresh-faced clever friends shaking hands with the Vice-Chancellor of Manchester University and thus ending their 4 year adventure. End of an era :(! So glad I got to see it though :)

Vicki and her boyfriend arrive tomorrow at the start of their 3 week interrailing trip around Europe (like the one I did with Ruth last summer), so I'm taking them out for tapas (probably with my coursemate Rony, who's showing us her favourite tapas place which is apparently excellent - although I've been for tapas a couple of times, she's been here for 5 months and apparently it helps to know where to go!) and then we'll spend Saturday as a 'día de guiri' (tourist day) seeing the sights of Seville :) So excited to begin what will be a spree of visitors for pretty much every remaining weekend until I leave..! Can't quite believe I've been here the best part of 2 weeks already..Madness!

Keep in touch, will keep this updated as best as possible - it's bizarre, although the lifestyle here is among the most relaxed I've ever experienced, it still seems to move at a mile a minute!

Loads of love to you all :D Sending some sun your way! xxxxxxxx

No comments: