Saturday 20 September 2008

IT'S THE WEEKEND!!

Hey kids! Wow, I didn't realise how long ago it was since I last wrote! This week has really flown by in hindsight!

So...what news?! Umm...I'll try and remember in chronological order, though you know what my memory's like..! 

Wednesday I'm pretty sure was the day when me and Pepo (Steph's flatmate whose room I 'borrowed' :p) went to buy me a webcam! We took the bus (new thing for me!) and explored El Corte Ingles (awesome department store of which there are loads here!) for a bit, but the cameras there were all pretty expensive, so we then went to L'Illa (awesome shiny shopping centre down the road) to an electrical shop called Fnac...found one there which was pretty reasonable and which we thought would work with my Mac, then browsed the pretty technology for a bit...there was a HUGE iPod speaker in the shape of a cube with each side about 80cm, for €2000!! It was amazingly cool though. We then bought my webcam and walked back to Steph's flat, where we met her in the park and went to buy some water from the supermarket. Long story short: I now have a webcam!! It kept freeze-framing at first but I downloaded a driver yesterday and it now works fine :D so get on Skype, everyone!!

We went out last night (Friday night) which was soooo good - it felt amazing that it was the weekend!! We decided we'd go out for dinner as we couldn't be arsed to cook, so we monged out a bit at the flat (felt sooo good to know we had two free days ahead of us!) and then got ready to go out at about 8.30. Steph took us to Plaza Real - somewhere I recognised as we went there when I came here with 6th form - and because of the Mercè festival (Patron saint of Barcelona, celebrated all this weekend) there was a stage set up in the middle of the square, with live bands!! You can imagine how happy I was at this point :D we queued for about half an hour for this restaurant, Les Quinze Nits, but Steph assured me it was good, and we really felt like a sit-down meal instead of a few tapas, so we hung on. The queue only proved it was good, after all....We got a table outside where we could hear the music, and had tomato soup (really satisfied the serious tomato craving I've got going on!) then I had this meat pie and mashed potato (not pie as you would imagine it..! it was like a ball of meat...lol...but sooooo good! and the mash was amazing :D)..the portions were just right, though served on a massive place so they looked quite small! Despite the restaurant looking really shiny and posh, it was so reasonable! We had a litre jug of Sangria for €6.90 (and it did the job :p!)! It was such a perfect, chilled out atmosphere for a Friday night after a busy week at work. Definitely a place I'll be taking people who come to visit! So, a little 'squiffy' as Steph put it (:p), we wandered outside the square to see what we could see. Our plan was to go to the beach for the fireworks, though at this point it was about 11.15 so we thought we'd probably missed them. We eventually made it to the beach (in the spitting rain - :o not impressed!) after a long walk through Port Vell (and past another live music stage where loads of people had congregated to chat, drink and dance), to discover nothing was happening there :( so we walked to the Metro and went back to Plaza Catalunya, where there was another stage with a band on! So we stayed there and watched their set, along with several hundred jovial Spaniards. By this point it was about 1.30 (pretty shameful to be honest) but we were shattered after getting up at 8 that morning, so we decided we'd call it a (successful) night and turn in, to save our energy for tonight! I've got a couple of photos which will probably be on Facebook at some point :) 

Today we've basically been vegging out after an awesome lie-in, it's pretty cloudy out so we can't really decide what to do...we were considering heading to one of the Gaudi sights to feel like we'd explored a bit, but it's just so nice to have time to chill out and do whatever, I've been struck with a bit of laziness...! 

New Spanish vocab: (Pepo left us a note saying have a good weekend, with drawings and a glossary and all lol!) 

"chungo/a" = weird/dodgy
"mola" = to be cool/awesome

see, I am learning!! hehe :D 

haha there was just an advert on TV for toothbrushes with Kiss - I Wanna Rock and Roll All Night on in the background! Spanish TV is an endless source of amusement!

Hope everything's good wherever you are in the world my luvvers, keep in touch!

Loooooove youuu xxxxxxxxx

No comments: